I like doing these blog tags, it’s a nice break from the type of things I’m normally writing. I have AK from Everything is Bad for You to thank for nominating me to do this one. Especially when I’m feeling a little under the weather and not particularly driven to write anything at the moment.
This blog tag comes original from Pinkie of Pinkie’s Paradise, and her ongoing quest to add a little positivity to the world one blog post at a time. As per the rules handed down by the blog tag gods, here are the rules as originally written and to be copied and pasted down through the people who respost this down the road:
1: Thank the one who tagged you and if at all please tag the original post as well. This is my first blog tag and a bit of a passion project so I would like to see where it spreads! Oh and use Super-Happy-Love as a tag!
2: Display the Super Happy Love Logo in your post Share the rules!
3: Choose a minimum of 2 out of these 6 prompts to answer in this blog! More is always allowed! These six prompts are as follows:
- Tell about a person you love, this can be a friend, partner but also a celebrity or even youtuber who means a lot to you. As long as they once took breath on this earthly realm you are allowed to pick them… Tell us why you love them.
- Write something about a fandom or franchise you love. It can be your favorite game series or about just about anything that is bigger than just a single product! Tell us why you love this so much!
- Tell us something about a character that you love. Do you have a Waifu, a Husbando, maybe a mentor or someone who taught you a valuable lesson. Tell us why you love them.
- Tell us something about a piece of music that you love. Does a anime intro mean a lot to you? Did you have a special memory to a pop song, like your first dance at your wedding? Maybe a piece of video game music? If you love it, you should tell us why!
- Show us why you love a piece of media so much! A Book, A Game, A Anime, A Movie maybe even a random piece of fan art, you are free to pick as long as you can show us why you love it.
- Write something about yourself that you love! For those who like a challenge, there is a hard mode in this blog prompt as well. Tell us why you love a certain aspect of yourself
- Put on your rose tinted glasses. For once you are allowed to gush about the things that you love without having to balance it out with negatives so that you seem objective. In fact your are actively encouraged not to bring negativity into this tag. So no, “Nowadays is poopoo but back in my days…it was great”. Just say it was great! Love is blind after all!
4: Tag 6 bloggers you love so they can take on this challenge as well.
5: Everyone who comments something lovely about your post ALSO gets nominated (should they so choose).
A franchise I love
I love Star Wars. It might be pretty obvious, but its a franchise I’ve grown up with since I saw the remastered New Hope in the cinema in 1997 when I was eight years old. From there I consumed everything from the franchise I could get my hands on, from video games to comics to the novels. I mean, I threw out a lot of stuff when I moved out last year, but I still have a suitcase in my spare room filled with this:
I bought a brand new PC to play The Old Republic when it came out. I just love being in the world and even can’t help but get enjoyment out of the lesser examples of the franchise. It’s the one thing I can’t say no to, and the one series I think I might still love now as much as I did back when I was an eight year old. I just have the critical eye to realise when there are problems with it.
But that won’t stop me switching my brain off and enjoying the Rise of Skywalker in the moment to moment I’m watching it.
A Character I Love
Growing up, the one character I identified with more than any other was Spider-Man. I’ve said this many times before in a number of other places, but there is something so inherently relatable and human about Marvel’s characters. And Spider-Man, the teenager trying to juggle so many different aspects of his life at the same time while also being a bit of a social outcast.
Whatever I was actually like back then, I aspired to be like Spider-Man And while I’ve grown out of looking up to him as much now considering I’m older than he is in almost every iteration, I still have a massive love for the character and everything he represents.
It’s why, now, I’m a massive fan of Miles Morales. While Peter Parker has grown and become an adult in many of the modern comic book iterations, Miles has taken his place as the awkward teenage superhero. And seeing first hand how he has inspired kids, of all races, but especially black kids actually hit me deep down. I visited a book shop shortly after Into the Spiderverse came out and seeing the enthusiasm a little kid had for the Miles Morales books in there really took me back to a place.
There are still parts of me that wish the MCU decided to go with Miles instead of Peter for their interpretation of the character, as much as I do love Tom Holland in the role. Just so Spider-Man could reach and affect more kids like he did me a million years ago.
Music I love
I’m not an especially musical person. It’s pretty low on my priority list, but that doesn’t mean certain pieces of music can’t hit me. For me, it’s music from movies and video games that really unlocks a part of my brain and takes me back to places in the past and makes me feel good. I oftentimes listen to video game soundtracks when I’m writing as I find them the best background sound to keep me focused and make me feel good.
And there is nothing better in that regard than music from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. I was obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog as a child. And I still have a massive fondness for the character now, although for the most part I’m content to enjoy the franchise from a distance, as there have been far more bad Sonic video games than good ones at this point. But the music is another story, it’s always so uplifting, so upbeat that it’s difficult not to feel good listening to it.
But the music from those games, specifically from Sonic 3 & Knuckles that I love. So much so that I own several remix albums from likeminded and much more talented fans of the game and its music. I still get that nostalgic beat from many games in the franchise since then, even up to the more modern releases, but its something about those old Mega Drive tunes that puts me in a happy place.
And if I had to pick one specific song from that game’s soundtrack it’s probably have to be a tossup between Flying Battery Zone Act 1 and Hydrocity Zone Act 2. I honestly can’t just pick one.
Now I need to nominate people. I’m not sure I know enough people who know who I am to actually nominate people to be honest.
In fact, searching the tag on wordpress it seems like everyone has already done it who I would have nominated. So in that case, if you’re reading this and haven’t done this tag yet, then I nominate you. Please spread the positivity.